Stueve Siegel Hanson is committed to serving the communities in which we live and work. Our attorneys regularly provide pro bono legal representation, and volunteer their time in support of public interest organizations, bar and educational groups, including:
Alfred Friendly Press Fellowship Foundation
The Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships is a non-profit cultural and professional exchange program providing developing world journalists the opportunity to work as reporters at American newspapers. Fellows return home with new journalistic skills and knowledge, and a desire to advance a free, responsible press in their own countries. Partner Patrick Stueve serves on the Alfred and Jean Friendly Foundation Board of Directors.
The Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City
The $475 million Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas provides leadership, advocacy and resources to eliminate barriers and promote quality health for uninsured and underserved in the Greater Kansas City area. The foundation awards grants to address health issues in the following areas: Healthy Lifestyles, Mental Health, and Safety Net Health Care. Partner Norman Siegel has served on the Board of the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City since 2008, including serving two years as its Chairperson. During his tenure, the foundation distributed more than $140 million in grants.
Additional Community Volunteer Work
Our attorneys are proud to also support these meaningful organizations and causes:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- DEBATE-Kansas City
- Habitat for Humanity
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Kansas City Jazz Ambassadors
- The Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault
- Operation Breakthrough
- Unleashed Pet Rescue
- VITAS Hospice
LEGAL, EDUCATIONAL AND BAR ORGANIZATIONS
Lawyers Encouraging Academic Performance
Lawyers Encouraging Academic Performance (LEAP) is a not for profit foundation created to promote community service of lawyers in Greater Kansas City with a focus on initiatives intended to encourage young persons in their pursuit of an education. Stueve Siegel Hanson attorneys volunteer to tutor students and serve as Study Buddies. Attorney Abby McClellan is a member of the Board of Directors and received the 2019 LEAP Queen Award for her volunteer work. Past board members include partners Patrick Stueve and Steve Six.
The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association is the largest bar association in the Kansas City area. Partner Rachel Schwartz currently serves on the Board of Directors. Additional Stueve Siegel Hanson attorneys hold officer positions in KCMBA’s Federal Courts Advocates Sections, including Austin Moore, Curtis Shank and Bradley Wilders. Partner Norman Siegel previously served on the Board of Directors of the association’s charitable arm, the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation.
The Kansas Bar Association
The Kansas Bar Association is dedicated to advancing professionalism and legal skills of lawyers, advancing the interests of the legal profession and promoting the effective administration of justice in Kansas. The KBA seeks to improve legal ethics and to make our system of justice more available to all Kansans. Partner Steve Six served on the Board of Governors and as the 2016-2017 President of the KBA.
Our attorneys are guided by the principle that pro bono clients – like all our clients – should be fully and effectively represented. As a result, we devote significant time and financial resources to the legal needs of persons who cannot afford to pay for representation.
This commitment is exemplified in the pro bono efforts by partner Patrick Stueve to develop the Military Matters program, a front-line provider of legal and other support services for Kansas City area veterans, active duty military personnel and their families. In recognition of this service he was honored with Legal Aid of Western Missouri’s 2015 Honorable H. Michael Coburn Community Service Award. Stueve Siegel Hanson attorneys continue to volunteer their time to assist veterans and their families with legal issues.
Additional Legal, Educational and Bar Organizations
Our attorneys also dedicate their time to serving these organizations:
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Association for Women Lawyers
- Drake University, President’s Circle
- Drake University, Steering Committee, Donald V. Adams Leadership Institute
- Federal Bar Association, Board of Directors for Local Chapter
- Federal Rules Committee, Member
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Centurions, Active and Alumni
- Kansas City Volunteer Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts, Member
- Lawyers’ Association of Kansas City, Board of Directors
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri, Cy Pres Committee
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Board of Governors
- National Board of Trial Attorneys National Board of Complex Litigation, Founding Member
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas, Bench-Bar Committee
- University of Kansas Mentor Program for First-Year Law Students, Mentor
- University of Missouri Alumni Association – Kansas City Chapter, Board of Directors
- Western District of Missouri Federal Law Clerk Society, Co-Chair