Media Coverage: Tobacco Surcharge Ruling in Casino Litigation Against Penn National Gaming, Inc.
Stueve Siegel Hanson recently secured a first of its kind ruling granting class certification for casino workers in Missouri and Kansas in a lawsuit against Penn National Gaming Inc.
The lawsuit stems from a tobacco surcharge included in the casinos' health plan that allegedly violates ERISA. The ruling has been reported on by publications including:
- Law360, “ERISA class certified in casino tobacco surcharge fight”
- Bloomberg Law, “Casino workers suing Penn National for tobacco penalty get class”
- Casino.org, “Penn National casino workers who smoke file class action lawsuit against company”
- Gambling News, “Casino workers take Penn National to court over cigarettes”
- 6Park News, “Casino workers suing Penn National over tobacco fine get class”
This case is part of a larger effort by the firm to investigate potential claims against employers who deduct additional health insurance premiums, fees, or surcharges for tobacco users. Learn more about the firm's tobacco surcharge wage deduction investigation here.